Wake Up Scotland!
Three prizes totaling £1750 for the best online band playing an original composition or a cover version.
The winning band will be invited to support the Red Hot Chilli Pipers at one of their gigs – date to be agreed – and enjoy a VIP backstage experience.
This competition encourages young musicians to get together online and create a piece of music – either original or a cover version – using an app like Acapella. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AC2RyVhnqlE. Performances might be by a youth pipe band or equally a group of friends who play a range of instruments – anything goes! You just need to include at least one piper. Film your performance and enter the competition from this page by midnight 12 June.
Follow our Facebook page Piping4Pupils to keep up to date with announcements and competition updates https://www.facebook.com/Piping4Pupils/
It is easy to take part. If you want to give it a go just start by registering your interest
Make sure you read the rules below please.
Register your interest
- Deadline for entries is midnight 12 June. No entries will be accepted after this.
- Bands/ groups must be made up of between 3 and 9 players (may include vocalists).
- All players must be pupils that would normally be in school in Scotland now.
- Films submitted for judging must be between 3 and 6 minutes long. The title of your track, and the band name should be shown on the film.
- Each band/ group must have at least ONE piper.
- Bands/ groups that play a cover version must not use the original soundtrack (for copyright reasons).
- Participants will most probably need to use an online app like Acapella or one of the many others unless they are members of the same household. There is no restriction on what app is used other than the finished film must be capable of being submitted online. Here’s a link about Acapella https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AC2RyVhnqlE
- A person can only enter once. Multiple entries involving the same person will be disqualified.
- Judges will shortlist films and these will be broadcast on the Red Hot Chilli Piper’s Facebook page on 27 June, where the winners will be announced.
- The People’s Choice Poll will run on the Scottish Schools Pipes and Drums Trust Twitter page. We encourage entrants to follow our social media pages so that they keep up with competition developments.
- The judges’ decision is final.
- Full terms and conditions of the competition can be found HERE.
- Prizes will be paid direct to the lead member of the winning band, or their parents if under 16 years of age, and must be shared amongst band members equally.
1st place £1,000, and the chance to play with the Red Hot Chilli Pipers at a concert in Scotland. Date to be arranged.
2nd prize £500
People’s Choice £500
TOP TIPS FOR USING ACAPELLA
You will need headphones.
Practice canter is easier to record with other instruments because of the volume and it should be in B-flat already (check with other instruments or teacher to double check).
When mixing your video at the end ask for help from a piping music teacher or music teacher/ musician friend if you can. Work as a team for the best finished product.
Study the Acapella app using online youtube tutorials for the best results.
ENTER THE COMPETITION
Please keep checking our website or Facebook page to find details once the entry form is live.
Registering by way of this form does not commit you to submitting a film but every encouragement is offered to do so.