You may be interested to see, and to follow, SSPDT’s policy guidelines which we have developed with and for our staff who are piping and drumming tutors. These safeguard both tutors and pupils and must be overseen and approved by the tutor’s line manager or organisation/ school that engages them.
Instructors that teach young people up to the age of 18 online via Skype, Zoom or another online service must:
- Agree in writing, in advance, all online teaching with their line manager, including names of pupils and times and dates of lessons.
- Ensure that there is ALWAYS a responsible adult in the room with the pupil during online teaching.
- Ensure that the room where the pupil is taught is a shared family space in the house, e.g. lounge.
- Ensure that parents and carers agree in writing (this can be by email), in advance, that a responsible adult will be present at all times during online teaching.
- Ensure that the responsible adult knows when the lessons begin and end (and confirms this in writing with the instructor, to avoid emails being sent but not received or not read by the pupil’s responsible adult).
- Limit contact with pupils online to times that have been agreed by the pupil’s responsible adult.
- Under no circumstances contact a pupil on a one-to-one basis online at any time other than at teaching times agreed with the pupil’s responsible adult.
These guidelines may change and improve and we will let you know if they do.